Boston Marathon Bypass Bib Selection Process
The Gate City Strider's historically have received a small number of bypass bibs for the Boston Marathon. If/when the club receives these bibs they will be distributed to members who have demonstrated a commitment to club service and volunteering, participating in club events, leadership within the club, and/or being a part of club racing competitions.
Guidelines for Boston Marathon Number Distribution
- Application deadline is November 15th. Marathon bib recipients will be chosen via committee review in December.
- Selection will be made based on points from the application as well as any additional information provided by the applicant, as the committee realizes the points may not encompass all aspects of club participation.
- Actual bib application documents will be given out if and when they are received by the BAA.
- All applicants will be notified via email of their application status following the receipt of the bibs from the BAA. Applicants selected will be recognized at the Annual Awards Dinner.
- Points will be awarded for various activities, as indicated on the application.
- To be eligible for a marathon number a candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of the Gate City Strider's since at least January 1st of the year in which this application is made.
- Must have completed either a half-marathon or longer within 1 year (12 months) prior to this application.
- Dues must be paid in full for the years prior to and the year of the Boston Marathon (if you are entering the lottery for a 2020 number, your dues must be paid in full for 2019 and 2020).
- Members cannot receive a marathon number more than once in two years. (If you received a bypass number from our club for 2018 you are not eligible for the lottery again until 2020).
- Numbers are non-transferable and must be used by the recipient. If the recipient is unable to participate in the marathon, they must return the application immediately to the Board so that it may be assigned to an alternate.
- In the process of determining eligibility for marathon numbers, the Board may at its discretion make exceptions to the above guidelines.
If there are fewer applications received than the number of bibs that the Gate City Strider's receive (or are anticipated to receive), the following process will take place:
- The situation will be advertised to the members of the Gate City Strider's.
- Members meeting the criteria described in section (6) above will be eligible.
- Members who have received a marathon number the previous year are eligible to apply.
- Members must have run at least one (1) half marathon or longer in the preceding year.
- Members will be given at least 10 days to indicate interest in participating.
- Applicants will be chosen via a random lottery, which will take place at either a public event or a GCS Board Meeting.